For information, visit: https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/parks_recreation/lewis-farms-community-recreation-facility.aspx
The schematic design of the facility (February 2017) can be downloaded here: Lewis_Farms_Schematic_Design
Visit http://www.andrewknack.com/lewis-farms-recreation-centre-and-library-update/ for updates. The following information comes from Andrew Knack’s website.
Schematic Design Details
Lewis Farms Community Recreation Centre
- Aquatic facility that includes a 30 x 25 metres deep tank with 1m and 3m springboards and 5m, 7.5m and 10m dive platforms. A leisure pool with water play features, a tot pool, a 53 metres ten-lane pool, whirlpool and steam room.
- Fitness centre that includes large cardio and weight training area, two fitness studios and a non-competitive running / walking track.
- Three gymnasiums that include large playing surfaces and assembly areas that can be divided into smaller functional areas.
- Multi-purpose spaces that include an indoor child development space, child minding space, bouldering wall, and three multi-purpose rooms.
- Twin NHL-sized indoor ice rinks and outdoor leisure ice.
- Support and other ancillary services including a lobby area, washrooms, dressing rooms, food and commercial retail units, administration and storage space.
Lewis Farms Library
- An 18,000 square foot community Edmonton Public Library Branch similar to the Clareview and the Meadows Branches intended to serve the Lewis Farms Area Structure Plan.
Edmonton Catholic Schools District Academic Centre
- A 48,000 square foot Edmonton Catholic Schools District academic centre and daycare.
Lewis Farms District Park
- An urban plaza with interactive water play component
- Walkways / multi-purpose trails with lighting and seating
- Three ball diamonds
- Fixture-less rectangular sports fields, and open green space for passive park uses and unstructured active recreation
- Tennis and basketball courts
- An outdoor skateboard park
- Outdoor fitness and picnic areas
- Public washroom facilities
- City Operations satellite park operations service yard.
During the Fall Supplemental Capital Budget Adjustment, the next Council will be presented with a request to approve the funding required to acquire the necessary land. While the detailed design work could extend into 2019, the next Council will debate the funding of the construction of the entire facility in November/December 2018.