This page provides information about rezoning applications in the Secord community and adjacent areas.
9615 231 Street NW
STATUS: FAILED, zoning will remain RA7 - January 22, 2018, City Council Public Hearing
(Added: June 2017, Last Updated: February 2, 2018)
Bylaw: 18132 / 18139
Reference File Number: LDA17-0317
- Rezone a 1.7 ha lot to allow for the development of medium rise apartment uses.
- There is also an associated amendment to the Secord Neighbourhood Structure Plan. The amendment is needed to facilitate the rezoning. The amendment changes the land use statistics and land use concept map to reflect the change in zoning. No changes are proposed to the objectives of the plan. The application conforms with the Lewis Farms Area Structure Plan that designates the site for residential uses.
- RA7 (Low Rise Apartment Zone)
- Maximum Height of 16 metres (4 stories condo building)
- Maximum of 213 units on this site
- RA8 (Medium Rise Apartment Zone)
- Maximum height of 23 metres (6 stories condo building)
- Maximum of 381 unit on this site
Comments: A few areas in Secord are zoned RA7, but none are zoned RA8 yet. None of the RA7 lots are developed as of October 2017. Very few new neighbourhoods have RA8 zoning.
- Advance Notice: June 2017
- City Council Public Hearing Date: Monday September 11, 2017 - First Reading was Carried. Council requested more information prior to going ahead with Second and Third Reading. See minutes to the right.
- Next City Council Public Hearing Date: Likely Scheduled for Q1 2018.
Recommendation and Justification (from City Administration):
Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development is in SUPPORT of this application because:
- it adds diversity to existing housing forms in the neighbourhood;
- it is a suitable location near transit service and neighbourhood amenities (school/park site); and
- is compatible with surrounding land uses.
Bylaw 18132 - Amendment to the Secord Neighbourhoo - CR_5027.docx (downloaded September 1, 2017)
Bylaw 18132 - Amendment to the Secord Neighbourhoo - Bylaw 18132.pdf (downloaded September 1, 2017)
Bylaw 18132 - Amendment to the Secord Neighbourhoo - Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development report.pdf (downloaded September 1, 2017)
Bylaw 18139 - To allow for the development of medi - CR_5028.docx (downloaded September 1, 2017)
Bylaw 18139 - To allow for the development of medi - Bylaw 18139.pdf (downloaded September 1, 2017)
Minutes from January 22, 2018 Council Public Hearing regarding rezoning application:
Minutes from September 11, 2017 Council Public Hearing regarding rezoning application:
Northeast corner of Winterburn Road and 98 Avenue (north of Winterburn School yard)
STATUS: REZONING APPLICATION PROCESS
(Added: June 2017, Last Updated: October 3, 2017)
- RR (Rural Residential Zone)
- CB1 (Low Intensity Business Zone)
- The purpose of the CB1 zone is to provide for low intensity commercial, office and service uses located along arterial roadways that border residential areas. Development shall be sensitive and in scale with existing development along the commercial street and any surrounding residential neighbourhood.
- Avatex has partnered with Shell Canada to deliver this 2.5 acre site which is currently planned to be named "Secord Place". It also appears that a Tim Hortons would be constructed on the site, there would be a car wash and a convenience store, and another building with future low-density commercial opportunities. See http://www.avatexdevcorp.com/secord-place/ for more information.
- Avatex approached the Secord Community League in September 2017 to discuss about the project and asked for our support. The SCL provided this information on the Secord Community League Facebook Page on October 3, 2017. The SCL asked the Secord citizens what they thought about this project.
North of 99 Avenue and south of Stony Plain Road, East of 224 Street and West of 221 Street (north of pond)
STATUS: APPROVED ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2017
(Added: June 2017, Last Updated: October 3, 2017, Will be deleted from website after March 1, 2018)
From: RF4 (Semi-Detached/Duplex), RSL (Residential Small Lot a.k.a. Attached Garage)
To: RMD (Residential Mixed Dwelling Zone)
- The purpose of the RMD zone is to provide for a range of dwelling types and densities including Single Detached, Semi-detached and Row Housing that provides the opportunity for more efficient utilization of land in developing neighbourhoods, while encouraging diversity in built form.
- The rezoning application is likely to allow zero lot line homes to be constructed, as RMD allows Zero Lot Line Development.
- Several future areas of Secord were already rezoned to RMD.
- City Council Public Hearing Date: September 11, 2017 - First, Second and Third Readings were carried unanimously by Council. See minutes to the right.
- Rezoning is in effect as of September 11, 2017.